Check out my music: https://soundcloud.com/playinmyblues

Thursday 28 May 2020

Akai MPK Mini MKII Controls the Korg NTS-1 - and logue Oscillators

Here is another instance where a decent MIDI controller make using a synth that much more enjoyable. Why do I use my Akai MPK Mini MKII when I could use the more capable Oxygen 49? Well, the same features that make the Oxygen 49 more capable also make it less portable.
Korg NTS-1 and Akai MPK Mini MKII

The MPK Mini MKII can also be carried around so I can move from my mini studio to the couch in another room to use it there while I watch TV - put a movie from Netflix or Amazon Prime or whatever. I am also using a computer as the go between between my MPK Mini MKII and the Korg NTS-1. I am enjoying the USB MIDI capabilities of the NTS-1.

One word of warning regarding the NTS-1. There have been a fair number of reports of people having the audio jack or other jacks breaking off the circuit board of the NTS-1. It is worth looking into either making a small case that will allow for handling and moving this small synth about. Some people have already done so and you can find examples online in different places. Your favourite NTS-1 group probably already has some examples.

This post is very short. You will see below a scan of how I mapped the CC's of the NTS-1 to the MPK Mini MKII.
Korg NTS-1 CC's Mapped to Akai MPK Mini MKII

Having used this for several days now, I could spend a little more time mapping out different sections better. For instance, the effects related CC's could be grouped together. That is something I will leave up to you to figure out.

And yes, that is a Keystep under the NTS-1. That is used to sequence the NTS-1 and other synths that do not have onboard sequencers. I like using hardware when I jam.

And because everybody wonders and I recently read that you can use the logue's user designed oscillators with the NTS-1, below is how to do that.

Using logue-designed User Oscillators with the Korg NTS-1:
1) The file used to upload to the NTS-1 is a compressed file. It is like a .zip file.
2) Download the file.
3) Click on the file name in a file browser (Mac, PC, or Linux).
4) Edit the file extension from one of the logues to .ntkdigunit
5) Now you should be able to load the file into the NTS-1 digital Librarian or the CLI if you use that.

No comments:

Post a Comment